We are Extraordinary Bodies Young Artists (EBYA), a youth theatre company for 16-30 year olds. Based at Lighthouse Poole, we meet every Thursday evening to develop our performance, theatre, dance and music practice. We also have monthly visits to Frome in Somerset to develop our aerial circus skills. Our members include talented young people from Poole, Bournemouth and Dorset.
EBYA is all about different people from different backgrounds coming together to create and devise our own shows. We love to make ambitious and challenging new work and we perform across the UK.
EBYA has access to coaching, mentoring and training with incredible professional artists from the UK and around the world. EBYA exists to support young people at the start of their Arts careers and we have bursary places available.
What’s happening in 2019?
We are currently working on devising and writing our new production, Till We Win. The show will premiere in April 2019, at Lighthouse Poole alongside The Shouting Mute’s performance of Just Grow Up and Love Chocolate. Buy tickets and find out more information here.
We are also developing our own professional paths through a coaching and mentoring programme. This has been funded by the Youth Social Action Programme, which is an iWill grant from Dorset Community Foundation.
This year we are collaborating with Dance and Acting students from Arts University Bournemouth. They will be joining our weekly sessions at Lighthouse Poole. Finally, we’re working on something exciting with New Wolsey Theatre, so keep your eyes on the News pages for more updates!
Interested in joining EBYA?
Are you a young person in Bournemouth, Poole or Dorset interested in the performing arts, theatre, circus or music? Do you want professional, coaching and training opportunities? Do you want to join an energetic group to develop your skills?
Yes? Then please get in touch with us! Simply fill in the short form at this link to show your interest, or you can email our Artistic Director Eilis Bevan-Davis: firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
Training and Professional Opportunities
EBYA is proud to shout about our 100% success rate in supporting members with their Higher Education applications. Our Alumni have gone onto study at NCCA, RADA and Bird College Conservatoire for Dance and Musical Theatre. We have successfully supported applications to opportunities with National Theatre and Graeae Theatre. Our Alumni have also been successful with Arts Council England’s funding applications for individual artist development.
In 2018 Diverse City registered as an Arts Award Centre in Dorset and 5 EBYA members are now working towards their first Arts Awards. You can visit our Training page to find out more about Arts Award.
What else have we done?
- We performed our show Becoming at For / With / By: Festival of European Youth Theatre 2018 at Birmingham Repertory Theatre. The festival brought together 150 young people from 4 different countries for a week of performances and collaboration.
- In 2018 we joined Diverse City Team to deliver ‘inclusive training’ with Ramps on the Moon across the UK.
- We performed at The National Theatre, as part of Extraordinary Bodies’ 2018 What Am I Worth? tour.
- We have performed at Unlimited Festival London, Inside Out Festival Dorset, Funky Llama Festival Plymouth, Roundabout Festival Poole, as well as Doing Things Differently and international festival Circus City in Bristol.
- We have been part of residencies at Lighthouse Poole, Theatre Royal Plymouth and the National Centre for Circus Arts.
- Not only have we travelled all over the UK, our members have travelled with international projects to Bosnia, Italy and Portugal.